A performance appraisal is an evaluation done on an employee’s job performance over a specific period of time. It is the equivalent of a report card on an employee and how their manager assessed their performance over the prior year.
Anyone who has worked in more than one department or at more than one organization can attest to the fact that not all performance appraisal processes are the same.
Advantages of performance appraisals:
- They provide a document of employee performance over a specific period of time.
- They provide a structure where a manager can meet and discuss performance with an employee.
- They allow a manager the opportunity to provide the employee with feedback about their performance and discuss how well the employee goals were accomplished.
- They provide a structured process for an employee to clarify expectations and discuss issues with their manager.
- They provide a structure for thinking through and planning the upcoming year and developing employee goals.
- They can motivate employees if supported by a good merit increase and compensation system.