Strategic HR Partners frequently conducts audits for our clients and we have compiled a list of the top five mistakes we find with I-9’s
- Corrections: Often times when people make a correction they do it wrong. There are strict rules regarding how to make a correction to the document and they are often not used.
- Signatures: Whether it’s the employee, preparer, or the company representative, someone often forgets to sign their name.
- Dates: Leaving out dates of signatures, dates of expiration, or dates of hire is very common.
- Indication of Citizenship or Immigration Status: This involves checking a box and sometimes writing a document number, but it is often forgotten
- Document Numbers: Many times we find that someone transposed a number when copying it from the identification documents to the I-9.
Even if you think your files are perfect there are probably mistakes which add up to high penalties. Having independent audits shows a good faith effort which can often help reduce the amounts of these fines.
To learn more about Form I-9 or how you can minimize your risk visit our page or contact us today for a free consultation.
775-473-3750 or 1-844-7HR-TEAM